We all want a good headshot that truly reflects who we are, but we’re not all fighting to get in front of the camera are we? I understand! I make it my priority to take time to really connect with you, understand your business and help you relax so that your shoot is enjoyable resulting in great images.
Let’s make a plan. Your answers to the following questions will shape the personality and vibe that your images bring to your business and brand so that you and your business really shine!
What do you need from your headshot images?
- What is the purpose of the images you need? What do they need to achieve for your business?
- Do you want a plain background that just shows people who you are, or do you want to show your work environment or be outdoors?
- What’s the overall vibe you’re going for? Formal, relaxed, quirky or something else?
- Think about where and how your images will be used. What aspect ratio do you need?
- Do you need to incorporate negative space e.g. for a website banner that will allow space for some text or your logo?
- Do you want your images to be in colour or black and white – or both?
A simple, square headshot has multiple uses, not least on social media where they often appear circular. How about on the back cover of your next book? You may want a plain background or you might prefer an urban or outdoor setting instead. Below is a great example of incorporating negative space so that text can be added later.
Here’s what Alistair Wilson (above) had to say about his personal branding shoot:
“Ruth helped me to absolutely nail some bio photos for use in my online business presence. She seemed to understand exactly what I wanted and captured it brilliantly – the finished images were just what I wanted.”
A studio setting will give a different feel to your images and looks very polished. Here’s what Hayley had to say about her headshot session:
“Ruth did some excellent headshots for me. She was professional, attentive and put me at ease throughout. The photographs were produced and edited really quickly and I was over the moon with the results.”
However, you may be after something completely different that tells more of a story of who you are and what you do. The images below are part of a series I have done for Naomi Sisson of Seed Home Designs that show part of her process. We photographed her outside where she seeks her inspiration and does initial sketches before designing her beautiful fabrics.
Read more in Headshots and Personal Branding Part 2 which will give some tips on how to prepare for your shoot. If you need some new headshots then do get in touch or feel free to call me on 07790 755784.